Popcorn is a powerhouse snack.
- It’s a complex whole grain, so it’s high in fibre with a low glycemic index.
- It’s naturally vegan, gluten free and low FODMAP
- A 2 cup portion is equal to 1 Canada’s Food Guide grain serving
- 2 cups provide less than 1 gram of fat, 2 grams of protein, 2.5 grams of fibre, plus magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and small amounts of many other essential nutrients
- Serving sizes on packaged popcorn is huge, ranging from 3.5 cups to 7.25 cups! (Have you ever seen such a large serving anywhere else?!) This is because popcorn is so light and fluffy, so it takes a significant amount to add up.
It has a couple drawbacks, namely that’s it’s a choking hazard, so it’s recommended to not give to children under 4, or anyone who has difficulty chewing and swallowing.
Popcorns’ bad rep comes from the recipes and additives to make it more delicious or fun: Caramel popcorn, chocolate covered, marshmallows and peanut butter…
Here are 6 delish popcorn recipes that will satisfy your snack cravings and won’t lessen popcorn’s health benefits!
What’s your favorite way to eat popcorn? Comment below, and happy snacking 🙂