Mashed potatoes is a total comfort food, and also a staple dish at many holiday meals. A knish upgrades everyone’s favorite side dish into its sophisticated cousin by stuffing it into a crusty outside.
Go outside the expected, and welcome Autumn, by swapping the original flaky dough with my colourful antioxidant-rich sweet potato crust.
This recipe does take a bit of time to make (there’s making the dough, and the filling, plus assembling it), but it’s always super popular, so I only make it for Fall special occasions!
|Assembling mashed potatoes on dough|
Microwaving the sweet potato instead of boiling it can cut down on some time. Depending on the size of your potato, it can be ready in 4 minutes to 16 minutes. Peel it after microwaving, and it’s so much easier – the peel just slips off!
|Raw knishes before egg wash|
Sweet Potato Crusted Potato Knish
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups flour
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 bunch leeks chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 5 small potatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- egg- optional for glaze
- Microwave or boil sweet potato until completely soft
- Peel and mash sweet potato until smooth
- Combine all dough ingredients and set aside
- Boil potatoes- save this water
- Sautee chopped leeks and onion
- Mash potatoes well and combine all ingredients
- Add in reserved potato water to reach the smooth consistency of mashed potato you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Divide dough in 2 equal portions, plus about 1/8th to use for decoration
- Roll dough into a ¼ inch thick rectangle
- Spread filling in the centre of the dough, and fold dough over, so sides overlap
- Place seam-side down on baking tray
- Repeat with second half of dough
- Form a crisscross pattern using assigned dough
- Brush with egg wash
- Bake for , remove from oven to cool.
What occasion will you make this for?