School mornings can be hectic (to say the least) and trying to get everyone fed before running out the door can be a challenge, especially with the added pressure of breakfast being “the most important meal of the day”.
I’m here to lower the pressure with some simple breakfast ideas that are nourishing and provide long lasting energy. These require minimal prep, and your kids can do it themselves.
Nourishing breakfast ideas for kids & teens that take under 10 minutes to prepare
- Microwaved frozen vegetables & eggs: put some frozen (or other pre-chopped) vegetables into a microwave safe dish. Add 1-2 eggs and salt & pepper. Microwave 1-3 minutes
- Toast and hummus with vegetables
- Microwaved sweet potato + tahini (or other nut butter). Clean a sweet potato, microwave for around 8 minutes depending on size. Carefully slice (it’s hot!) and drizzle on tahini
- Store-bought waffles or pancakes + peanut butter + sliced fruit
- Cereal & yogurt + fruit
- Tuna & crackers
Nourishing make-ahead breakfast ideas for kids & teens
If you have time the day before for some preparation, you can make a batch of the following to be ready to go in the morning
- Overnight oats with yogurt & fruit or nuts
- Breakfast quesadilla in whole grain wrap with cheese, vegetables, and/or beans
- Chocolate protein muffins and fruit
- Baked oatmeal or french toast casserole with sliced fruit
- Dinner leftovers
- Eggs and vegetables in pasta shells
Nourishing grab-and-go breakfast ideas for kids & teens
Breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated or fancy. Food eaten on the bus, in carpool, or in school is also “breakfast”. The goal is for kids to eat something upon waking to give them energy and mental clarity to successfully start their day.
- Yogurt + banana
- Instant noodle bowl
- Pretzels & hummus
- Cereal, nuts, and dried fruit
- Hard boiled eggs + baby pepper
- Granola bar + apple
Combining whole grains or fibre-rich food along with protein provides lasting energy that can help your kids maximize their attention and focus in school.
Want some more make-ahead breakfast ideas? Download these 6 recipes now!